Town Home Lateral Loads

I am working on a 3 story town home project. The code requires that the townhomes each be designed as a separate building. So we have usually addressed this by engineering the end units for wind and seismic loads in the longitudinal direction and the middle units for just seismic loads in the longitudinal direction. This results in huge shear wall and uplift loads on the end units. Anyone else have a better idea? The loads get so high on the end units there has got to be a better way. Tying the buildings together would be the easiest but our local jurisdiction does not allow the exterior top plates to continue the the air space between units.

Jeff