-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Drew Morris Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:00 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Jib crane impact factor

Daryl, thank you for the information.  I saw the impact loads in ASCE 7,
but wasn't sure where my crane fit in.  I have a question when using LRFD
design with these factors.  Is the factored live load Pu =

crane impact load factor * crane capacity

or 1.6 * crane impact load factor * crane capacity?

I have been using the latter formula, but with an impact factor 0f 2.0.

On 7/3/2013 10:40 AM, h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca wrote:
> Drew,
>
> I have two sources for you: ASCE-7; and the Canadian National Building
> Code.  These are in partial agreement.  Both specify 1.25 for cab or
> radio controlled cranes and 1.1 for pendent operated electric cranes.
> ASCE-7 specifies 1.0 for hand geared hand operated cranes; CNBC
> includes them with pendent operated cranes.
>
> I have designed, checked out, or load rated several hundred cranes in

Truncated 628 characters in the previous message to save energy.