-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Jeff Hedman Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:05 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Town Home Lateral Loads

Oshin,
That is how we have done it in the past. Then there are no drag forces.
However, if I do that, I don't have enough seismic separation between
units. I think the gap is 2" between framing. So it will be less after
sheet rockis applied.

Bill,
I agree. With insufficient seismic separation and no tied between units,
how do you provide for deflection compatibility between units and prevent
pounding at the floor?  I think building them this way is foolishand the
building official just doesn't understand.  He wants me to enforce a fire
separtion between units but then ignore the seismic separtion requirement.
In the past we have always designed these as one building with continuous
exterior double top plates through the air gap at a minimum, if not
continuous floor sheathingthrough the length of the building. I have never
seen a single building built where the floor diaphragm or double top plates
 were not continuous. This has been a recent change at this particular
jurisdiction by the building official. An adjacent jurisdiction allows
continuous floor sheathing and top plates at the exterior.

Truncated 646 characters in the previous message to save energy.