To: <seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Jib crane impact factor

Drew,
I can't add much to what has already been said, except that I have been designing cranes and runways since 1967 and I and others whom I know have never used Limit States Design (your LRFD). There is no real savings in it except in building structures. Daryl is right about crane abuse. I would also recommend a Canadian publication-"Crane Supporting Steel Structures Design Guide" authored by R A MacCrimmon. It was published by the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction (2nd edition) and was available free on-line and a hard copy for a fee. Bob MacCrimmon used LSD as that is code in Canada. The design guide recommended by Bill is excellent.
Gary