-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Chuck Utzman Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:26 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Town Home Lateral Loads

I beg to differ. Back when I did condo forensic work, I saw a lot of this
construction. It wasn't a "code interpretation" & I would be amazed if you
could talk the CBO into something else. With continuity in the roof &
exterior sheathing, a little care in the LFRS design to establish stiffness
 compatibilty, & the units will move in phase. Treat it like a single
building. You are worrying about something that probably would never happen
 during an event that is unlikely to happen in your lifetime. Chuck Utzman,
 P.E.

On 7/4/2013 8:38 AM, T.William (Bill) Allen, S.E. wrote:
> Jeff - I realize that fires kill more people than earthquakes, but
> this is not a rational code interpretation by the building official. I
> suggest that a.) you do not separate the buildings and b.) suggest
> that the sheathing penetrating the area separation be fire treated.
> Otherwise, show him/her the section of the code regarding seismic
> separation which will probably require something like 6" between units
> (or more) which would kill the project. Most of the other building
> officials have interpreted it this way (allowing sheathing to run
> through). Unfortunately, it appears that the jurisdiction you are
> dealing with is not yet enlightened. Have fun with your project!

Truncated 473 characters in the previous message to save energy.