Re: Jib crane impact factor

That's not the point.

1. It's consistent with general structural design principles.

2. It more accurately reflects categorical load effects.

3. It lets you use one set of load combinations for all materials instead
of having to account for different sets of them depending on what you're
designing.

I learned ASD/WSD in school and used it several years thereafter. Then I
switched. It was never a problem for me.

Going back because "everyone I know users the other method" would be
bizarre.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5