-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Pack Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:27 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Cb for Channels Bent About Major Axis (AISC
360-10 Section F2)

Hello Bill,

I will attempt to help.

In the AISC 9th Ed of the Manual of Steel Construction (ASD) There is a
line that specifically addresses channels bent about their major axis.  It
says to use the following eq. for allowable stress:

Fb = (12 x 10^3 x Cb)/(Ld/Af)  <= 0.6Fy

Where Cb is equal to 1.75 + 1.05(M1/M2) +0.3(M1/M2)^2 below this equation
is a paragraph that mentions reverse curvature bending and what affect that
 will have on the sign of the M1/M2 ratio.

In Design of Steel Structures by Gaylord, Gaylord and Stallmeyer they've
got a more developed equation for when the moment diagram within the
unbraced length isn't a straight line.  It looks like this:

Cb = (12.5Mmax) / (2.5Mmax + 3Ma + 4Mb + 3Mc)

Truncated 1058 characters in the previous message to save energy.