Fabric Shade Structure

This message was also sent by paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com to: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

 I have a home project to help a coworker install a fabric shade structure
(tensioned fabric structure).  He wants to install one of these in his yard
and is asking for my structural help.  This thing is a tensioned fabric
canopy measuring about 12' x 12' and looks like a sail stretched into a
parabola.  The manufacturers web site (www.shadesails.com) shows that the
pretension on the anchor cables at about 100#.

Does anyone have information on how to calculate the wind load and
associated anchor tension on these (simple) fabric structures that they
could share with me?

Thanks,
Paul
Phoenix, AZ