Painting/Coating Structural Steel Exposed to the Elements

Any recommendations?

I am working on a small lattice/trellis structure consisting of HSS
sections. It will be located near the coast. The architect wants to
galvanize the structure and then paint it. I'm not an expert in galvanizing
 (or anything for that matter), but I believe it is difficult if not
impossible to coat something that can't be dipped into a tank and then
paint won't adhere to the galvanizing once it's coated. I'm recommending
painting the structure, but I come up short when offering a specific
coating. Is there an epoxy coating that would be suitable?

Thank you,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
University of Southern California, M.S.C.E., 1983
University of Texas at El Paso, B.S.C.E., 1977

ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
32302 Camino Capistrano, #206
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675