Re: Painting/Coating Structural Steel Exposed to the Elements

Bill,

Painting over galvanized steel is possible, but without specific preparation based on the coating system to be used on top of the galvanizing, it will not last. I would recommend a Hi-Build Epoxy coating system applied in the shop with field touch-up. PPG Amercoat 385 seems to be a good system, however, the oldest use by Irwin that I recall is only 5+ years old. Caution, this is not a cheap system and the shop needs have past experience in the use of these coating systems. The most critical item on these coatings is prepping the galvanized surface in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements and then following the application specifications.

PPG makes other coating systems that will work with-out galvanizing. Irwin Steel fabricated all the steel at Cowboys Stadium not part of the roof truss system and shop-primed and finish coated over 4,000 tons of HSS using PPG coatings. I am not near the plant so I cannot lookup which PPG system was used.

*Davis G. Parsons II PE RA *
/Texas Engineer 42397//
Texas Architect  9462/
Fort Worth, Texas