RE: Painting/Coating Structural Steel Exposed tothe Elements

Hi Daryl
I can suggest to follow this procedure in order to paint above HDG steel
elements: Galvanized Material Paint Preparation System
	1 The following system shall be used to coat all surfaces, other than bar
grating, which have been previously hot dipped galvanized; including, but
not limited to handrails, handrail sockets, ladders, stairways, cages, toe
plates, guard rails, clips, heliport safety panels, etc.
	2 Surface Preparation
Surfaces must be clean and dry. Remove any and all oil, grease and other
contaminates with a non-residual leaving hydrocarbon cleaner/remover such
as Carboline #3 or equal from the surfaces to be coated prior to any
blasting and/or coating.
NOTE: It is important to remove any and all evidence of the oily film
residue that is on the surfaces of any galvanized steel.
SSPC-SP7 brush off blast finish (NACE No. 4) the surface of the galvanized
steel to obtain a 1.0 mil anchor profile.
	3 Prime Coat: Epoxy Primer - 3.0 to 5.0 mils D.F.T. Minimum solids content
 to be 70% by volume.
	4 Finish Coat: Unmodified Aliphatic Acrylic Polyurethane Epoxy – 1.5 to
2.0 mils D.F.T. Minimum solids content to be 65% by volume.
	5 Paint System:
Intermediate Finish
Primer Coat Coat
Paint P-03 ----- F-01
D.F.T. (mils) 3.0 to 5.0 ----- 1.5 to 2.0 mils
Total D.F.T. 4.5 to 7 mils
NOTE:
If Carboline products are selected, use Carboline Carbothane 134 Series
products, including 134, 134 HS or 134 HG