RE: Q: What are we using these days for structural design of stainless steel?

The section was changed slightly in the 2012 IBC.

2210.1 General. The design of cold-formed carbon and low alloy
steel structural members shall be in accordance with
AISI S100. The design of cold-formed stainless-steel structural
members shall be in accordance with ASCE 8. Coldformed
steel light-frame construction shall also comply with
Section 2211. Where required, the seismic design of cold formed
steel structures shall be in accordance with the additional
provisions of Section 2210.2.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> From: wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com
> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:09:09 +0000
> Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Q: What are we using these days for
> structural design of stainless steel? To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> Yeah, I'm familiar with it...even have my very own copy. :-)
>
> I actually ended up specifying 1/4" plate, press-breaked (broken?). Used
> the ASCE standard to check to make sure stresses were manageable.
>
> The fabricator told me that it's like pulling hen's teeth to come up with
> hot-rolled SS sections, at least in the USA. It's actually easier for him
> to just fab everything from plate.
>
> He feels like he can press-break anything up to and including 1/2". I'm
> skeptical, but I felt comfortable with the 1/4" material.
>
> FWIW, I searched the ASCE 8 standard and couldn't find anything regarding
> an upper limit for thickness.

Truncated 840 characters in the previous message to save energy.