RE: Q: What are we using these days for structural design of stainless steel?

I thought about the spelling after I sent this.

Ironic, since I'm kind of a "spelling and grammar Nazi". :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:30
AM To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Q: What are we using these days for structural
 design of stainless steel?

The machine is a press brake.  My brother's plant has about five of them
ranging from a couple of 100 tons capacity to 2000 tons capacity.  He can
tell you almost eveything about forming steel within the capacity of his
machines.  His e-mail address is "wayneh(--nospam--at)hodgsoncustomrolling.com" Gary

On 2013/08/13 11:09 AM, Polhemus, William wrote:
> Yeah, I'm familiar with it...even have my very own copy. :-)
>
> I actually ended up specifying 1/4" plate, press-breaked (broken?).
> Used the ASCE standard to check to make sure stresses were manageable.
>
> The fabricator told me that it's like pulling hen's teeth to come up
> with hot-rolled SS sections, at least in the USA. It's actually easier
> for him to just fab everything from plate.
>
> He feels like he can press-break anything up to and including 1/2".
> I'm skeptical, but I felt comfortable with the 1/4" material.
>
> FWIW, I searched the ASCE 8 standard and couldn't find anything
> regarding an upper limit for thickness.

Truncated 340 characters in the previous message to save energy.