Modulus of Elasticity for Aluminum

Somehow it was engrained in my head that the modulus for Aluminum is
approximately 10 Mpsi, or 1/3 that of steel. Today I came across a batch of
extruded 6000 series aluminum that is almost 20. The mill certs say
everything is hunky dory. My shop guys beg to differ. We typically spec
this type of material to ASTM B221. What gives? Perhaps I've been a bit
naive...

Michel Blangy, P.E.
Hermosa Beach, CA