RE: Pinned Base Plate or Fixed

There will be no formal statement, but that is the tendency from
practitioners.  That said, the devil is in the details.  And most
practitioners are not detailing moment connections to concrete very well.
When we bolt steel to steel we always pretension the bolts.  And there are
reasons for this.  When we detail steel to concrete the rationale should be
 the same.  But not many practioners require tensioning anchor rods.  I owe
 an article to MSC about this.  I have been remiss.

All that has to happen to convince anyone of the value is to model the
detail.  The stretch of the anchor rods will shift the inflection point
significantly and alter the stiffness of the modeled frame and alter the
assumed drift.  Tension the anchor rods and the model will mimic the
assumed behavior.

Tensioning anchor rods in the petrochemical world and in the projects on
which I work is common.  But in the general "building" community, it is not
 widely known.  When I first started tensioning anchor rods, there was a
learning curve.  The first building in which I required tensioned anchor
rods was in 1987.  I have required tensioning anchor rods from California
to Alaska and even in some of my OCONUS work.

Regards, Harold Sprague