Footing Tranverse Bars...Hooked???

Hello Fellow Engineers,

I came across a peer reviewer's recommendation pertaining to my footing
detail reinforcing steel.  It shows reinforcing steel in the transverse
direction that are straight.  The peer reviewer recommended that they be
hooked at each end (hooked upwards) and provide longitudinal bars inside
each hook.  I hate to sound like a grizzled contractor, but I have been
doing this for ("X" amount) of years, and have never been told to do this.

I discussed this with the peer reviewer and the explanation given did not
make sense.  Basically, the bars need hooks to provide proper for shrinkage
 resistance.  I thought the rebar deformed shape does that.  FYI,
temperature/shrinkage reinforcement requirements govern over flexural
strength requirements.  Anyways, I just want to get your take on this.  Is
there an ACI/IBC requirement I overlooked?

Cheers,

Ricardo G. Gonzalez, P.E.
C S W | S T 2
CSW/Stuber-Stroeh Engineering Group, Inc.
45 Leveroni Court, Novato, CA  94949
Civil Engineering ∙ Structural Engineering
Planning ∙ Land Surveying & Mapping

main: 415-883-9850          fax: 415-883-9836
direct: 415-884-6442        e-mail: RicardoG(--nospam--at)cswst2.com
links: Web Site<http://www.cswst2.com/> ∙ Blog<http://blog.cswst2.com/>
∙
LinkedIn<http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/81991500.html>
∙ Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/CSWST2> ∙
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/cswst2>

"This message is intended solely for the recipient identified above and
should not be opened, read, or utilized by any other party. This message
shall not be construed as official project information or direction except
as expressly provided in the contract documents"