Re: Footing Tranverse Bars...Hooked???

Ricardo,

Rebar hooks are used to cut down on development lengths, say when there is not enough room for a longitudinal bar to be developed at a section, if you can develop your bars with no hooks, you should be ok as I am unaware of any other requirements for hooks

Have a nice weekend

Tarek Mokhtar, SE

Hello Fellow Engineers,

I came across a peer reviewer's recommendation pertaining to my footing
detail reinforcing steel.  It shows reinforcing steel in the transverse
direction that are straight.  The peer reviewer recommended that they be
hooked at each end (hooked upwards) and provide longitudinal bars inside
each hook.  I hate to sound like a grizzled contractor, but I have been
doing this for ("X" amount) of years, and have never been told to do this. I discussed this with the peer reviewer and the explanation given did not make sense. Basically, the bars need hooks to provide proper for shrinkage resistance. I thought the rebar deformed shape does that. FYI, temperature/shrinkage reinforcement requirements govern over flexural strength requirements. Anyways, I just want to get your take on this. Is there an ACI/IBC requirement I overlooked?

Cheers,

Ricardo G. Gonzalez, P.E.
C S W | S T 2

Truncated 803 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
Tarek Mokhtar, SE
TMM Structural Engineers, Inc