Re: Footing Tranverse Bars...Hooked???

On 9/29/2013 9:29 AM, T.William (Bill) Allen, S.E. wrote:
Didly squat.

Is that a technical term?

:o)

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

University of Southern California, M.S.C.E., 1983

University of Texas at El Paso, B.S.C.E., 1977

<http://www.allendesigns.com/> ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

32302 Camino Capistrano, #206

San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

Truncated 472 characters in the previous message to save energy.

I think the problem is the notion that there ought to be steel in every nook and cranny.

I have seen this A LOT over the years particularly in the energy sector where the DE-emphasis of cost-effective structures led to rules-of-thumb that were originally intended to insure conservative designs but then layered themselves one atop another until there was seemingly no constraint on cost or even constructibility.

I have seen "hooked bars everywhere" so often I don't even bat an eyelash anymore.