RE: 2013 Codes

Last year, I did a project in Odessa, TX, where they had already adopted
IBC 2012, and hence, ASCE 7-10.  At the time, RAM Structural System hadn't
incorporated the new wind provisions, so I did a little exercise to compare
 the results of the new method -- with wind pressures calculated at
ultimate levels, then used in load combinations with a factor of 1.0 for
LRFD or 0.6 for ASD -- versus the old method.  In the end, the new method
resulted in forces about 4% lower than the old method for my particular
case.  In other words, you wind up at essentially the same place, but take
a completely different path to get there.  I used the software-generated
wind forces, based on ASCE 7-05 and went about my business.

It sure threw off the curtain wall manufacturer, though.  Their engineer
was making a fuss about how my general notes required them to design for
120 mph, when they've been using 90 mph for years.  I had to explain that
he needs to use the new code, that 120 mph produces an ULTIMATE-level wind
pressure, and that in the end, their design should come out about the same
as what they've done in the past.  I think it took him a while to get his
head wrapped around it.

I'm not sure what the impetus was for the changes in the wind code, but I'm
 SURE it represents a giant leap forward in engineering knowledge (that was
 typed in "sarcasm mode", if you couldn't sense the tone).

-- Joel

the structural alliance
Joel Adair, PE, LEED AP
Principal