RE: 2013 Codes

Got the sarcasm, no problem.  Aren't we still taking this new factored wind
load through diaphragm and shear wall tables based on "ASD" values? Will we
have to "unfactor" for timber design?  I haven't dove that far into the new
code. Just testing the waters.
On Nov 6, 2013 3:51 PM, "Joel Adair" <jadair(--nospam--at)tsa-eng.com> wrote:

> Last year, I did a project in Odessa, TX, where they had already adopted
> IBC 2012, and hence, ASCE 7-10.  At the time, RAM Structural System
> hadn't incorporated the new wind provisions, so I did a little exercise
> to compare the results of the new method -- with wind pressures
> calculated at ultimate levels, then used in load combinations with a
> factor of 1.0 for LRFD or 0.6 for ASD -- versus the old method.  In the
> end, the new method resulted in forces about 4% lower than the old method
> for my particular case.  In other words, you wind up at essentially the
> same place, but take a completely different path to get there.  I used
> the software-generated wind forces, based on ASCE 7-05 and went about my
> business.
> It sure threw off the curtain wall manufacturer, though.  Their engineer
> was making a fuss about how my general notes required them to design for
> 120 mph, when they've been using 90 mph for years.  I had to explain that
> he needs to use the new code, that 120 mph produces an ULTIMATE-level
> wind pressure, and that in the end, their design should come out about
> the same as what they've done in the past.  I think it took him a while
> to get his head wrapped around it.
>
> I'm not sure what the impetus was for the changes in the wind code, but

Truncated 1180 characters in the previous message to save energy.