-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Joel Adair Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:48 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] 2013 Codes

Last year, I did a project in Odessa, TX, where they had already adopted
IBC 2012, and hence, ASCE 7-10.  At the time, RAM Structural System hadn't
incorporated the new wind provisions, so I did a little exercise to compare
 the results of the new method -- with wind pressures calculated at
ultimate levels, then used in load combinations with a factor of 1.0 for
LRFD or 0.6 for ASD -- versus the old method.  In the end, the new method
resulted in forces about 4% lower than the old method for my particular
case.  In other words, you wind up at essentially the same place, but take
a completely different path to get there.  I used the software-generated
wind forces, based on ASCE 7-05 and went about my business.

It sure threw off the curtain wall manufacturer, though.  Their engineer
was making a fuss about how my general notes required them to design for
120 mph, when they've been using 90 mph for years.  I had to explain that
he needs to use the new code, that 120 mph produces an ULTIMATE-level wind
pressure, and that in the end, their design should come out about the same
as what they've done in the past.  I think it took him a while to get his
head wrapped around it.

I'm not sure what the impetus was for the changes in the wind code, but I'm

Truncated 1104 characters in the previous message to save energy.