-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Joseph Grill Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:06 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] 2013 Codes

Got the sarcasm, no problem.  Aren't we still taking this new factored wind
 load through diaphragm and shear wall tables based on "ASD" values? Will
we have to "unfactor" for timber design?  I haven't dove that far into the
new code. Just testing the waters. On Nov 6, 2013 3:51 PM, "Joel Adair"
<jadair(--nospam--at)tsa-eng.com> wrote:

> Last year, I did a project in Odessa, TX, where they had already
> adopted IBC 2012, and hence, ASCE 7-10.  At the time, RAM Structural
> System hadn't incorporated the new wind provisions, so I did a little
> exercise to compare the results of the new method -- with wind
> pressures calculated at ultimate levels, then used in load
> combinations with a factor of 1.0 for LRFD or 0.6 for ASD -- versus
> the old method.  In the end, the new method resulted in forces about
> 4% lower than the old method for my particular case.  In other words,
> you wind up at essentially the same place, but take a completely
> different path to get there.  I used the software-generated wind
> forces, based on ASCE 7-05 and went about my business.
> It sure threw off the curtain wall manufacturer, though.  Their
> engineer was making a fuss about how my general notes required them to
> design for

Truncated 478 characters in the previous message to save energy.