RE: Vented composite decks

Thank You Harold

Tarek

This has been debated. I know of no definitive testing except for Factory Mutual, but the debate goes back some years ago when roofers were adhering roof membranes to insulating concrete decks. They blamed adhesion failures on the lack of venting. The state of Florida has rules based on vented decks being required for lightweight insulating concrete roof decks. From my experience, I do not buy the argument. I never have liked adhering roofing to concrete on metal decks. I prefer using the tabs mechanically fastened into the roofing and then adhering the tabs to the roofing membrane. But you have to look at the roofing systems and what the manufacturer requires, or you can void a warranty. Look at what is required for Factory Mutual and the roofing manufacturer. That is the only thing definitive.

Here are some web sites with a bit more discussion / bias.

<http://www.mrca.org/uploads/files/technical/TR_BULLETIN_1-2011.pdf>

Truncated 300 characters in the previous message to save energy.