Re: Slab on Grade and the Green Code

Hello Oshin & Board:

Have you been able to get any information on why the GBC wants
no sand over the vapor barrier?  How do the writers of the GBC
expect the concrete to be installed without puncturing the typical
plastic sheet, 0.006" thick, that is used as a vapor barrier?

I'm sure that you know this, but the sand is used over the gravel/base
to protect the underside of the plastic and it's used over the plastic
to protect the plastice from puncture from workers stepping on
the large aggregate in the concrete while placing and screeding the
concrete.

It would seem that the negatives of puncture, e.g. allowing vapor through
the barrier, outweigh the benefits of not using sand to protect the
plastic.

I would be curious to know what the creators of the GBC have to say on
this issue.

Take Care,
Lloyd