Re: Slab on Grade and the Green Code

I am curious as to where you fall in this discussion with your vast
experience Mr. Stuart?

I have read articles that have lead me to believe this is a regional
practice thing, and perhaps somewhat related to differing climates and
water table levels?  In essence, the vapor barrier/sand/concrete design is
a west coast or California detail, while much of the east coast is normally
slab directly on a vapor barrier? FWIW, in Florida the SOG is almost always
placed directly on a vapor barrier. But many areas of Florida have high
water table which can lead to high natural moisture content in the near
surface soils, as well as dealing with very rainy summers and high humidity
during construction.

Also, vapor barriers have come a LONG way. If using a vapor barrier
directly under the slab, I would strongly recommending on going much
thicker than 6mil to avoid a lot of the tearing and puncture issues.

Interesting subject, and thanks for that article Mathew.

I attached a pretty good article on the subject of slabs and moisture
control. I have done many forensic investigations of flooring failures due
to slab moisture issues, and the costs can be huge.

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Matthew Stuart <MStuart(--nospam--at)pennoni.com>
wrote:

> The location of the vapor barrier (referred to as a vapor retarder in
> MasterSpec) is a function of a number of different factors.
>
> There is a nice flow-chart in this old article:
>
> <http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/82419361.html>
>
> D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., F.ASCE, F.SEI, SECB, MgtEng
> Structural Division Manager
> Pennoni Associates Inc.
> One Drexel Plaza
> 3001 Market Street, 2nd Floor
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
> Office 215-222-3000 x7895 | Direct 215-254-7895
> Fax 215-222-0789 | Mobile 908-309-8657
> http://www.pennoni.com | mstuart(--nospam--at)pennoni.com

Truncated 1024 characters in the previous message to save energy.