Re: Slab on Grade and the Green Code

Andreww, did you attach that article you mentioned?

On 12/5/2013 8:38 AM, Andrew Kester wrote:
I am curious as to where you fall in this discussion with your vast
experience Mr. Stuart?

I have read articles that have lead me to believe this is a regional
practice thing, and perhaps somewhat related to differing climates and
water table levels? In essence, the vapor barrier/sand/concrete design is a west coast or California detail, while much of the east coast is normally slab directly on a vapor barrier? FWIW, in Florida the SOG is almost always placed directly on a vapor barrier. But many areas of Florida have high water table which can lead to high natural moisture content in the near surface soils, as well as dealing with very rainy summers and high humidity during construction.

Also, vapor barriers have come a LONG way. If using a vapor barrier
directly under the slab, I would strongly recommending on going much
thicker than 6mil to avoid a lot of the tearing and puncture issues.

Interesting subject, and thanks for that article Mathew.

I attached a pretty good article on the subject of slabs and moisture

Truncated 1100 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
*
Drew Morris, PE*| Project Engineer