-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Guha, Sanchita Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 12:10 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Rigid diaphragm

I am designing a rigid diaphragm for a structure in a chemical plant.  The
vertical bracings are the lateral load resisting system.  I have two floors
 with concrete slab on metal deck.  The metal deck is connected to a series
 of steel beams.  The chords are at the boundary.  Other floors are of
steel horizontal bracing and gratings.  This project is in high wind
location. As I understand that compression chord forces to be resisted by
steel beam and concrete deck.  Diaphragm shear is transferred to vertical
elements (in my case the vertical bracings) by collectors and by shear
friction between the diaphragm and the bracings.

Here are my questions.

1.       Are my understandings correct?

2.      If so, don't I need to check the connection of the chord beams to
columns for these chord forces?

3.      Don't I need to check the connection between the collector and
bracing for diaphragm shear ?

Truncated 490 characters in the previous message to save energy.