-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Chuck Utzman Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:36 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Slab on Grade and the Green Code

I just got back from a job site. I took a look at some 6 mil visquene that
was removed during some demo work. It looked like one of grandma's lace
curtains. The sand hides the punctures, but can't prevent them in a crummy
6 mil vapor barrier. Also, the workers walk around on the rebar & embed the
 dobbies & rebar into the sand. If the concrete is pumped it can move the
sand into contact with the rebar. The ASTM piece goes into this at length &
 it's partially discussed in some of the articles in this thread. Chuck
Utzman,PE ps It's nice to see that there are still some of us still
watching the list server

On 12/5/2013 8:56 AM, Lloyd Pack wrote:
> Hello Oshin & Board:
>
> Have you been able to get any information on why the GBC wants no sand
> over the vapor barrier?  How do the writers of the GBC expect the
> concrete to be installed without puncturing the typical plastic sheet,
> 0.006" thick, that is used as a vapor barrier?
>
> I'm sure that you know this, but the sand is used over the gravel/base
> to protect the underside of the plastic and it's used over the plastic

Truncated 584 characters in the previous message to save energy.