Re: Slab on Grade and the Green Code

Fellow engineers,

I have a couple of comments I would like to make even at the risk of exposing my ignorance.

Codes that I have read require 3" couver for reinforcing when concrete is placed against ground and only 2" (or in some codes for some reinforcing sizes only 1.5") when placed against fromwork for corrosion proection of the reinforcing. My interpretation in the past has always been that the poly vapour barrier constitutes "formwork" and the absence of poly or having sand on top of it would be considered "ground", hence, the minimum thickness of a slab-on-grade can be impacted by a full inch (or even more) by placing sand on top of the poly.

Of course I have no vested interested interest in any of your responses to my observations but I would find them interesting non-the- less.

Regards to all,

Daryl