Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Geopier(R) / Rammed Aggregate Pier(R)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
These foundations are called Geopiers. I have seen some examples of them around the Sacramento area. Note that you should tie all of the piers together with a rigid foundation to minimize differential settlement.

A respected local firm: I have used them on some preliminary designs and review.


On 12/13/2013 4:05 PM, Andrew Kester wrote:
It is a bit of a misnomer, maybe aggregate or stone piles would be better? You are basically just improving the in-situ soil bearing capacity with loose sandy soils or organics. Then use a conventional foundation system. At least in my experience in florida...
On Dec 13, 2013 5:43 PM, "Joseph Grill"<jrgrill55(--nospam--at)>  wrote:

Does the conventional foundation span between the columns? I don't
On Dec 13, 2013 4:39 PM, "Andrew Kester"<akester74(--nospam--at)>  wrote:

Stone columns are pretty popular here in Florida to improve loose near
surface sandy soils (upper 10-15 feet or so). Then you place a
conventional foundation system over top of them but with a much higher
allowable bearing pressure, so you can save quite a bit of footing cost. On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Bill Polhemus<bill(--nospam--at)> wrote:
Similar though I think the process is proprietary, and refined.


Post your message to the list by sending it to: SEAINT-SEAOSC(--nospam--at)

The email messages sent to the list will be saved in an archive on the World Wide Web.
These archives are located at:

To contact the list owner, send your message to:

Sponsored By: Pacific Structural & Forensic Engineers Group, Inc. (PSFEG)

To unsubscribe, switch to/from digest, get on/off vacation, or change your email address, click here.