Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Geopier(R) / Rammed Aggregate Pier(R)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The latest ones that I reviewed is a a steel framed building had a number of cracks in the stucco walls, had a number of stone columns all connected with rigid concrete grade beams. Somehow during the planning or even after the construction started part of the building was extended, additional geopiers were installed - but the rigid grade beams were not included. This area is where we saw the differential settlement. Actually how much stiffness one had in the foundation system might be determined by the geotechnical engineer.

This is lesson learned the hard way by somebody.


On 12/13/2013 4:25 PM, Andrew Kester wrote:
In florida I don't think they tie together pad footings woth stone columns. But we don't have seismic...
On Dec 13, 2013 7:22 PM, "nma"<nma(--nospam--at)>  wrote:

These foundations are called Geopiers. I have seen some examples of them around the Sacramento area. Note that you should tie all of the piers together with a rigid foundation to minimize differential settlement. A respected local firm: I have used them on
some preliminary designs and review.


On 12/13/2013 4:05 PM, Andrew Kester wrote:

It is a bit of a misnomer, maybe aggregate or stone piles would be
better? You are basically just improving the in-situ soil bearing

Truncated 373 characters in the previous message to save energy.


Post your message to the list by sending it to: SEAINT-SEAOSC(--nospam--at)

The email messages sent to the list will be saved in an archive on the World Wide Web.
These archives are located at:

To contact the list owner, send your message to:

Sponsored By: Pacific Structural & Forensic Engineers Group, Inc. (PSFEG)

To unsubscribe, switch to/from digest, get on/off vacation, or change your email address, click here.