Re: Geopier(R) / Rammed Aggregate Pier(R)

Neil,
Sounds like a classic case of mixing and matching foundation types.
Interesting how stiffness compatiblity is a factor on everything from
foundations, to floor beams, to shear walls and lateral frames...  Anyone
see Prometheus? I liked the tip of the cap to "the engineers"...

Btw, Hayward baker's website has some good info on the subject.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Andrew

On Friday, December 13, 2013, nma wrote:

> The latest ones that I reviewed is a a steel framed building had a number
> of cracks in the stucco walls, had a number of  stone columns all
> connected with rigid concrete grade beams.  Somehow during the planning
> or even after the construction started part of the building was extended,
> additional geopiers were installed - but the rigid grade beams were not
> included. This area is where we saw the differential settlement. Actually
> how much stiffness one had in the foundation system might be determined
> by the geotechnical engineer.
>
> This is lesson learned the hard way by somebody.
>
> Neil
>
> On 12/13/2013 4:25 PM, Andrew Kester wrote:
>
>> Neil,
>> In florida I don't think they tie together pad footings woth stone
>> columns. But we don't have seismic...
>> Andrew
>> On Dec 13, 2013 7:22 PM, "nma"<nma(--nospam--at)nma-se.com>  wrote:

Truncated 656 characters in the previous message to save energy.