Re: Geopier(R) / Rammed Aggregate Pier(R)

Yeah, I'm not concerned about their overall effectiveness. I wanted to find
 out if anyone had experience with them, as a prelude to asking a further
question.

In my case they're being proposed for a site that is extensively
contaminated with crude oil residue (the crude was originally put there
nearly a century ago and the volatiles have since evaporated out leaving a
high-viscosity tarry substance that nevertheless tends to migrate under
pressure).

Since the Geopiers are constructed by ramming to create a pressure bulb in
the surrounding soil I wonder what the ultimate effect will be in the
presence of the crude oil tar.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5

> On Dec 16, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Brad Hughes <bhughes(--nospam--at)flad.com> wrote:
>
> We have used them on numerous projects with success
> They are generally termed soil improvement for the reasons stated by
> Andrew. They are not treated as piles. Typical spread footing design with
> higher allowable pressure It is proprietary and a delegated design. We
> have found the Geopier rep for Wisconsin (and beyond)to be helpful and
> honest about potential value to a project Best of luck
>
> Brad Hughes
> (remote)
>
>> On Dec 13, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Andrew Kester <akester74(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Neil,
>> Sounds like a classic case of mixing and matching foundation types.
>> Interesting how stiffness compatiblity is a factor on everything from
>> foundations, to floor beams, to shear walls and lateral frames...
>> Anyone see Prometheus? I liked the tip of the cap to "the engineers"...

Truncated 681 characters in the previous message to save energy.