RE: Texas discussion List

This is just bizarre. I can't figure out how it escaped my notice, and I
don't understand why this wasn't a huge fight.

Whoever said "wow, in Texas?" <-- THAT

>From the Board Website:

Why are engineers being asked to get a criminal history record check?

The Texas Legislature will now require professional engineers, among other
licensed professions, to have a record check to provide a measure of
assurance of safety to the public as well as more transparency and
accountability as professionals.

What other professions are required to have a criminal history record
check?

According to the February 2012 Sunset report to the Texas Legislature, at
least 51 other state agencies in Texas use fingerprint-based criminal
history record checks including those that regulate attorneys, dentists,
insurance professionals, accountants, nurses, realtors, and physicians.

Why are fingerprints necessary for a criminal history record check?

The criminal record checks performed under this new law will be run by the
Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) against both state and national
databases. The national database kept by the Federal Bureau of
Investigations (FBI) can only be accessed using a fingerprint based search.
 Any positive matches will be sent to TBPE for review.

Didn’t you previously do some kind of background checks?

Yes. TBPE has performed a different type of criminal background check
through the Texas Department of Public Safety on new applicants based only
on name and date of birth. The information available to TBPE was only for
incidents that occurred in Texas. This new process provides information for
 incidents in all states, providing a more thorough and equitable search
for Texas residents as well as out-of-state applicants and PEs.

What are the security requirements for the CHRC?

All data collected by the CHRC is required to be secure. The CHRC system is
 administered through DPS, and its vendor, MorphoTrust. There is a contract
 agreement between these organizations, which requires the implementation
of the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy put in
place by the Department of Justice and the FBI. More information can be
found here: