Re: Texas discussion List

To add insult to injury, if you have any other license in the state, you
have to pay the fees for each profession.

This is not the Texas my great-great-grandfathers established. This must be
a generational acceptance thing. I was brought up that the only time you
got fingerprinted was when you got arrested for a crime.

I am thinking about not renewing and just leaving engineering altogether
after some 40 years.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Polhemus, William
<wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com>wrote:

> This is just bizarre. I can't figure out how it escaped my notice, and I
> don't understand why this wasn't a huge fight.
>
> Whoever said "wow, in Texas?" <-- THAT
>
> From the Board Website:
>
> Why are engineers being asked to get a criminal history record check?
>
> The Texas Legislature will now require professional engineers, among
> other licensed professions, to have a record check to provide a measure
> of assurance of safety to the public as well as more transparency and
> accountability as professionals.
>
> What other professions are required to have a criminal history record
> check?
>
> According to the February 2012 Sunset report to the Texas Legislature, at
> least 51 other state agencies in Texas use fingerprint-based criminal
> history record checks including those that regulate attorneys, dentists,

Truncated 2709 characters in the previous message to save energy.