Re: "For Your Safety and Security"

 I wonder if this not somehow related to the NSA, since you brought it up
Bill. I know it is the Texas Board laying down the law, but I wonder if
there is not some federal pressure to do so. If you think about vulnerable
infrastructure to terrorism, structural engineers have the knowledge and
access to a LOT of valuable information. We may not possess nuclear
centrifugal processes, but understanding vulnerabilities of skyscrapers,
bridges, and refineries, and nuclear power plants for that matter, would be
very useful information in the wrong hands. So perhaps they are trying to
keep general tabs on who has access to some of this information. BUT, I
think the employers themselves usually would conduct the background checks
they think are necessary in these types of sensitive jobs.

Of course, if you hire a recent graduate, and they are not interested in
how to design a building nearly as much as "what column would we need to
remove to cause a collapse?", then that should send up a red flag or
three...

On the other hand, say I got a DUI 20 years ago and have learned my lesson,
would the TX Board now deny my PE application?

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. <
design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca> wrote:

> Bill,
> I agree with you on this.
> Gary
>

> On 12/17/2013 2:17 PM, Polhemus, William wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I know we're supposed to avoid "political discussions" but I hope
>> you'll take this in the spirit in which it's offered, because it's
>> certainly not a partisan issue at all.
>>
>> I don't know what's going on now with this ever-increasing vigilance
>> over the citizenry in the United States by government at all levels.
>>
>> I've never lived in Europe but understand that in much of that continent
>> citizens (or subjects, if you will) have grown used to having cameras
>> everywhere, and the requirements for identification, etc., for
>> everything. I know that in my trip to the Philippines last year I was
>> amazed how often - and for such trivial occasions - one was expected
>> show photo ID. And even how MUCH ID the "citizens" there are required to

Truncated 395 characters in the previous message to save energy.