Re: Construction/Isolation Joints for Composite Slab on Steel Beams

I'm not following the negative bending over the girder into the secondary
beams being different than what would be there without the construction
joint.

I usually design all secondary beams as pin ended and add rebar over the
girders to control cracking from negative moments over the girder that I
have not included in the analysis of the secondary beams (which is
conservative for the secondary beam design). But locating the construction
joints relative to the girder by 302 would show this negative bending over
the girder occurring under superimposed dead and live loads and not from
the slab self weight.

I expect a 6" slab will be thick enough for the dowel basket to get
correctly installed.

Will

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Polhemus, William
<wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com>wrote:

> This might seem trivial but I'm looking at the effect on the beams as
> much as anything. The analysis model I'm using (VA 10.0 with areas
> designated to act as slab elements) is of course showing me the weird
> effect of the slab bending over the girder in the "secondary" beams, and
> it's just bugging me.
>
> That put me in mind of what actually happens in the real-world structure.
>
> I understand Harold's point but what Will is saying here also makes a lot
> of sense particularly in the application I have.
>
> FWIW, this is an industrial equipment platform, and so will use
> normal-weight concrete (the equipment weights are such that the added
> load from using normal-weight concrete is relatively slight). I'm using a
> 6 inch slab.

Truncated 1159 characters in the previous message to save energy.