Shear Stud Welding In The Field with Galvanized Steel

We're having a bit of a controversy here. I'm specifying field-installed
shear studs for our steel beams, through galvanized form deck (Vulcraft VLI
 1.5") into WF steel beams. I know personally that this is commonly done
but I'm dealing with an industrial contractor for whom this is unusual.

They claim they will have to grind off the galvanizing on the top flanges
to do this. I wonder why it's a big deal since we're already going through
the galvanized form deck. But maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Anyone got any experience to share?

W. L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

4