Re: Shear Stud Welding In The Field with Galvanized Steel

Bill,

I would agree with the ironworkers on this. Most stud guns will not provide a good weld with any type of coating on the steel; paint or galvanizing and don't even try to stick weld them in the field. Weld one and test it. Most studs will pop off with the first blow.

The coating contaminates the weld pool below the stud that is contained by the ferrule.

*Davis G. Parsons II PE RA *
/Texas Engineer 42397//
Texas Architect  9462/
Fort Worth, Texas