Re: Shear Stud Welding In The Field with Galvanized Steel

Yeah I found it. I was a bit suspicious since it was from UK and they might
 have a different approach but afterward I found some more commentary here
in the USA to the same effect. I'm specifying that they mask a 2-3" strip
the length of the beam centered on the top flange before galvanizing.

W. L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

4

> On Jan 6, 2014, at 2:49 PM, "Andrew Kester" <akester74(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bill,
> I will email you an article, I think it is from the UK, that advises
> against it. The difference with galvanized deck is the welding procedure
> burns through the deck and the zinc from the deck does not contaminate
> the actual weld. But if the beam is galvanized , this would contaminate
> the weld.
>
> Andrew Kester, PE
>
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Jim Getaz <jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>> You might ask the project's stud supplier for their
>> recommended written
>> procedure for stud welding. It should describe how much galvanizing it
>> covers. HTH, Jim Getaz
>> Winchester, Virginia

Truncated 691 characters in the previous message to save energy.