RE: Shear Stud Welding In The Field with Galvanized Steel

There are ways to weld studs through galvanized steel deck.  The iron
workers for Northwest Steel Erectors did a good job for me on a recent
project.  It takes a bit of work to calibrate the guns, but it can be done.

This was a study done in 2006 for AISC:

Harold Sprague

> From: wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com
> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 00:08:57 +0000
> Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Shear Stud Welding In The Field with
> Galvanized Steel To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> I think you nailed it, Davis. Or rather, stud-welded it.
>
> W. L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
>
> 4
>
>> On Jan 6, 2014, at 3:51 PM, "Davis Parsons" <davisp2(--nospam--at)att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> I would agree with the ironworkers on this. Most stud guns will not
>> provide a good weld with any type of coating on the steel; paint or
>> galvanizing and don't even try to stick weld them in the field. Weld one
>> and test it. Most studs will pop off with the first blow. The coating
>> contaminates the weld pool below the stud that is contained by the

Truncated 624 characters in the previous message to save energy.