Re: House utilizing shipping containers for lateral system

Alexander,
I have never done actual design with them, but I have done a fair amount of
research. This website is a good jumping off point and primer.

<http://www.residentialshippingcontainerprimer.com/>

The containers are very strong in gravity and lateral- when intact, and
when stacked on top of each other. This is what they are designed for,
which is why they can stack them fully loaded 6+ containers high on ships.
But once you start rotating them and cutting holes in them, you will have
to reinforce them. You will see right away once you look at the drawings.

Good luck! I hope to work with them one day. I think they have a lot of
potential for the right type of structures. But I do not think they should
be forced into just any architectural design, because they have a lot of
limitations due to their rectangular geometry.

Regards,
Andrew Kester, PE
Florida