Re: House utilizing shipping containers for lateral system

That link is so intricate, its as though there is nothing left to do.  The
innovation, in my mind, is utilizing the metal to generate fluctuations in
temperature, thus to find new modes of sealing, to generate pressure
chambers.  For under-developed countries, small adaptations of these
largely manufactured subjects could mean great savings for energy
generation and refrigeration.

---- On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:04:31 -0800 Daryl <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>
wrote ----

Fellow engineers,

 I've been watching this thread with interest. It's like
something out of the dim and distant past.

 I've had a fair bit of experience dealing with similar projects.
In my case they were built using manufactured house trailer type units
specifically designed for the application at hand. We even did one
complex three stories high, with a helicopter landing pad on the roof,
and cantilevered off the deck of an off-shore drilling platform.

 That was virtually all pre 1975 so anything I have to say may be
a little out-of-date. I just hope I don't embarrass myself too much.

 For the engineer undertaking the work, I can't imagine any
structural engineer who can qualify for registration in California as
having any difficult whatever doing the work. You will be just fine. It
should be largely a case of "follow the load path and reinforce where
necessary".

 These units are probably not stacked directly on top on one
another or in all cases, packed closely beside one another. There will
likely be a space between for HVAC ducting, electrical, plumbing, and
other services including structural components. Erection procedures, and
whether large openings are cut and reinforced before or after erection
are factors that will affect how much work will have to be done.

 How experienced is the rest of the team? This will have a
significant effect on how much time must be spent in design conferences
and on how many times the work must be redone due to revisions in the
basic project.

 Any structural engineer who has not done this type of thing
before should find it an interesting and exciting project. Good luck in
getting the job; and have fun doing it.

Regards,

Daryl

On 09/01/2014 10:25 AM, Thor Tandy wrote:
> This message was also sent by vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net to:
> bmcclure(--nospam--at)trilogystructural.com Andrew
>
> I don't know if my colleague can assist but he has done at least one
> container apartment design/review for conditions in Victoria, BC.
>
> I copy him for you to link directly if there is any light.
>
> Regards
>
> Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
> Victoria, BC
> Canada
> Email: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
> Please consider the environment before printing out this e-mail

Truncated 574 characters in the previous message to save energy.