Re: Pipe Column Erection

Start with "Tubular Steel Structures - Theory and Design" by Troitsky. I think that you can obtain a copy from Lincoln Arc Welding.
Is the column straight or tapered?

The analysis is pretty straight forward is you have experience in pole type structures. When I get into areas outside of my expertise, I turned to part of my eight member independent group team for assistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqaba_Flagpole. This is a tapered pole structure with the weight and windage of an ornament at the top. A lot is going to depend on the earthquake susceptibility as well as the wind issues and possible extreme temperatures. There are a number of excellent studies out of Texas that deal with fatigue and microcracking. The new AASHTO code for poles has a revised chapter on fatigue - 50 year life is now "infinite life". The AASHTO code for poles also provides good guidance for pole design. Just add in your supported tank weight and the windage and go. Don't forget that the foundation may also impact your design, depending upon whether you have a spread footing, a caisson footing or and pier with a cap footing. The last thing you want is for the structure to tilt.

N/

_*www.nma-se.com*_