Re: Friction Coonection for Seismic Loads

Google "OPA-0114", this is the OSHPD preapproval for the B-line system,
pages 49-54 will give you what OSHPD allows as acceptable hanger rod
attachments for vertical loads (this may have a seismic vertical
component), for any "brace" connection you will need to provide a
mechanical attachment to the deck or the steel, typically designed by the
SEOR.  There are some basic examples in the OPA but nothing that isn't
obvious.

If it is not an OSHPD or DSA project you may be able to get creative and
justify that the clamps can resist lateral load applied directly
perpendicular to the beams for some of these clamping systems.  Any load
parallel to the beam direction would be friction dependent and prohibited
by the CBC.

Donny Harris, SE
Los Angeles