-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Polhemus, William Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:43 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Wind Load Net Pressure vs. Design Load Case

Regarding calculation of loads on "buildings of all heights" for wind:

In ASCE 7-05 you have Figures 6-6 (External Pressure Coefficients, Cp) and
6-9 (Design Wind Load Cases).

The corresponding Figures in ASCE 7-10 are 27.4-1 and 27.4-8 respectively.

(The Figures and their accompanying notes appear to me to be the same in
either version of ASCE 7 except for the Figure designation).

>From what I can tell reading both versions of the standard, the two are
supposed to work together somehow, yet the way they have the Figures drawn
almost seems that they are intended to be "either-or": EITHER you use the
pressures on the walls and roof of your building as shown in Fig.
6-6/27.4-1 OR you apply the pressures to windward and leeward surfaces ONLY
 per Fig. 6-9/27.4-8.

Has anyone managed to decipher this to your satisfaction?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

Truncated 741 characters in the previous message to save energy.