Soft-worn out

The "new technology revolution" seems to be taking its toll on mainstream
software costs. I guess all those cheap apps out there, or something,
playing on tablets instead of PC workstations. I dunno.

My absolute favorite structural analysis and design product just announce
they're doing an "Obamacare" and pricing themselves completely out of my
reach. Since I first bought a license more than 13 years ago, I have been a
 faithful customer, upgrading right along, and paying the modest upgrade
price.

Now, they've announced "no more upgrading, everyone pays full price - but
it includes annual maintenance, huzzah!" Essentially, you're paying a big
bunch up front - let's call it an Obamacare deductible - and that gets you
the privilege of paying annually for "maintenance." You don't want the
maintenance? Next time you want to upgrade, you pay full price again.

I'm very bummed. This is among my very most favorite software products for
what I do for a living, and I have been an avid, avid fan. Now, I've got to
 migrate to a competing product which, to me, is antiquated and creaking in
 the way you interact with it - they just kept the ancient "bolt on"
graphic interface from when it was a DOS product and that newfangled
"Winders" thing first came out - but which I don't have to pay for out of
my own pocket.

Yeah, my favorite product was so good, I kept updating my own copy of it to
 stay with the current version so I could use it even though the "free"
competition was at my disposal.

No longer. Cannot afford this.

I'm making about $5,000 less per year in numerical dollars (i.e. not
counting inflation) than I did four years ago, and the measly raises aren't
 making things any easier. Not that I'm really complaining per se; I have a
 job, and that's a lot more than a lot of folks can say in this suck-tard
economy. But I simply can't afford the luxury of upkeeping my favorite
engineering software tools any longer.

This is, by the way, analogous to what I see happening with A LOT of
software products nowadays, such as Autocad, which used to be reasonable if
 pricey, and now is just plain PRICEY - outrageously so. It, too, uses that
 "pay us maintenance or pay full price" licensing model.

Well, goodbye to a' that.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Lead Civil/Structural Engineer
CRA Engineering Group, Inc.
6320 Rothway
Suite 100
Houston, TX 77040

Phone: (713) 734-3090
Direct: (832) 485-5251
Cell: (281) 450-8426
Fax: (832)485-5213
Email: wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com
http://www.craworld.com/
[CRA since 1976 + 50best_colour]

[CRA-SMART_l-c]
This communication and any accompanying document(s) are confidential and
are intended for the sole use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
 recipient, please notify me at a telephone number shown above or by return
 e-mail and delete this e-mail and any copies.  You are advised that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance
upon the communication without consent is strictly prohibited. Thank you.