Re: HSS thin gage section properties

Some thoughts/experiences on this subject:
-I have always been able to find the section properties online at links
similar to what others here provided.
-My personal experience has been that the typical steel suppliers in my
area that sell these sizes stock them in primarily ASTM A513 not the A500
that corresponds to the AISC design manual.  The two most common wall
thicknesses are 1/16 and 1/8, they may be produced corresponding to a Ga
thickness and have heard the 1/16 also called 16 Ga size as well as 11 Ga
for the 1/8.  I do not think ASTM A500 sizes exists with less than 1/8 wall
 thickness.
-They are a very common size member and used by lots of different trades;
fence/gate builders, handrails, furniture, etc.  My most frequent contact
with them as a structural engineer is handrail/guardrail fabrications.
-If you google A513 yield strength you might get values as high as 72 ksi
and I have seen engineers use this for design.  The reality I have been
able to confirm is that the ASTM A513 standard has a range of strengths
from 32 ksi to 80 ksi but all the typical local suppliers can't confirm
anything with regards to the manufacture of their warehouse stock other
than it meets A513 and thus will be at least 32 ksi.  I am told you can
request a special shipment of 50 ksi that they will keep the mill certs
straight on but, by that time it is cheaper to go to A500.  I only use 32
ksi for my design of these A513 members, if the design requires higher ksi,
 I make sure to use at least 1/8 wall and very clearly require it to be
A500
-I am unsure what the correct standard is to use for design of A513.  I
generally design per AISC since I am the most familiar with it but AISC
manual does not reference A513, neither does the AISI specifically but they
 do give some criteria for acceptance of other steel grades although I have
 never sorted through it in detail to verify if A513 meets these criteria.
If it is a OSHPD or DSA job I have required A500 and not allowed A513 for
anything that requires a structural calculation.
-I am interested in what other's thoughts and experiences are regarding the
 subject. Donny Harris, SE
Los Angeles