Re: Geotechnical in Canada

Yes - getting a draft is an excellent idea, although this is many times impossible. There are instances where the soil report was prepared prior to my obtaining the project. Another thing is having the field excavation being signed off by a different geotechnical firms's inspector; had this happen many times in the Los Angeles area where we had designed a number of monopoles. Inspection problems are not rare. One time a city inspector called me about a drilled shaft about to be filled with concrete. (The trucks were standing by). But the soil engineer and I were still arguing about the design and depth of the 6 foot diameter pier and the city permit had not been issued. The point was where the passive pressure started (turned out at 10 feet). The eventual design went about 25 feet and the geotech was subsequently fired by his client. The concrete trucks were sent home.

Regards,

Neil