RE: Geotechnical in Canada

This might be of some interest:

<http://foundationperformance.org/projects/FPA-SC-04-0.pdf>

Bear in mind the following:

1. This was developed by the Structural Committed of the Foundation
Performance Association, a local Houston ad-hoc group made up of engineers
and contractors involved in design, construction, forensic investigation
and repair of foundations for lightly-loaded structures in the Houston
area, where we deal with moderate to extremely expansive soils. Obviously
lightly-loaded foundations (e.g. residences, single-level warehouse and
commercial buildings) are a concern where expansive soils are a problem.
Therefore, much of the information contained therein is focused on
information needed from the Geotechnical Engineer for those purposes.

2. That said, I have found much of the approach of this Recommended
Practice to be useful in drafting RFPs for geotechnical work generally. I
think while our Geotech cousins certainly bear some responsibility where
unclear or ambiguous report contents are concerned, very often there are
problems stemming from the foundation engineer not being very clear in what
 he is asking the Geotech to do.

3. It should be noted that, at least at the time this RP was drafted back
in 2001, the local Geotechs generally did NOT like it. Unfortunately I was
left with the impression their dissatisfaction had more to do with its not
giving them much leeway for obscurity. Note that this wasn't universally
true - there were some Geotechs involved in drafting and reviewing the
document - but I gathered that Geotechs who reviewed it from outside FPA
didn't like being pinned down so exactly.

4. I have used this document before, to organize my thoughts as to what I
have asked the Geotech to do. A few of them ignored what I asked for and
gave me their standard boilerplate instead. But generally I've been
satisfied with the results.

5. As always, YMMV, use with caution.